Re: How to get X error messages

Incoming from Colin Watson:
> On Fri, Mar 05, 2004 at 12:34:24PM +0100, Christian Schnobrich wrote:
> >
> > when I've seen Linux for the very first time, it was on a friends'
> > machine. IIRC he was running fvwm, and had a console-like window ( I
> > think it was even named "Console") where all the error messages of his X
> > apps would scroll by (if any, ofc).
> >
> > From my current understanding, it would catch everything that any X app
> > sends to STDERR. I think this could be useful, but have no clue how to
> > get it.
>
> Sounds like xconsole. It's in the xbase-clients package.

And it displays what's sent to it, not just X apps.  See the
appropriate line in syslog.conf

I've also found it a PITA to get it running correctly as a user.
Modern whiz-bang window environments tend to be really flakey about
remembering how to run something as a user that only root would
ordinarily be allowed.  I often found it popping up and refusing to
display anything (permissions), or just exiting immediately.
Eventually, after futzing with it for days, sometimes, depending on
windowing environment, it finally, magically, works on login with no
explanation offered.

My only useful suggestion here: you don't have to futz with the
default permissions and ownership of /dev/xconsole for it to work.
I have it running here in Gnome & Sawfish.  I've never had any luck
with it in KDE.  YMMV.  Good luck.

- -