Re: kernel panic

When installing kernel images, the installer first give a lengthy warning
about initrds. If one continues, it offers to wipe out your old lilo, etc.
Word to the wize: DON'T.

After installation is done, leaving lilo alone: Edit lilo.conf and add the new
kernel image and its initrd to the bootup choices. Then, ALWAYS, rerun lilo.

Before doing the installation, make sure the /etc/mkinitrd/mkinitrd.conf
and .../modules are what you need. My first attemp to run 2.6.* panicked but
suggested I specify the boot device. The place to do it is in mkinitrd.conf.
Don't use "probe", specify the device and file system, in quotes. All plays
fine.

example:
ROOT="/dev/hdb1 ext3"