Re: kernel panic

Jonathan Schmitt wrote:

<snip>

> You should always keep the old kernel in Your bootmenu to prevent such things,
> this is, what the construct with /vmlinuz and /vmlinuz.old is for.

Yes, however, I didn't delete anything... When I was working in Lilo previous to the 'accident', the old config was there. Beats me what happened to it. It was called 'Linux.old'

> Nevertheless, You could boot the woody installation disk, select "execute a
> shell" from the menu and then
> mount /dev/hda1 /mnt # assuming this is, where Your root partition is
> cd /mnt
> chroot /mnt

Yeah, I did something similar prior to posting on debian-user. I booted from the install cd, attempted to rescue/mount hda1, but the system kept saying 'invalid argument'.

> So You should get back to Your old system environment and be able to rerun
> lilo with Your old kernel in the boot menu.
> Best regards
>    js

I'll try your commands above.