Re: Where does lpd start at?

On Wed, Mar 03, 2004 at 02:24:59PM -0800, Ben Yau wrote:

> [...]

Much easier to /not/ touch the symlinks and add to the top of the
/etc/init.d/lpd file:
	echo "lpd has been disabled. Edit init.d/lpd to enable."
	exit 0

If you really want to play with the symlinks, use update-rc.d
(man update-rc.d)

> Next is to edit the /etc/init.d/lpd file to comment out the start of it .
> Reboot.  If it doesnot start, then something is callign /etc/init.d/lpd.  If
> it does start, then something outside of /etc/init.d/lpd .
>
> at which case something could be hardcoded in /etc/init.d/rc or
> /etc/init.d/rcS.  Or it could be started out of cron.  Or it could even be
> started out of a bashrc/bash_proflie or something (in which case it does not

You might also look in /etc/inetd.conf.  This is the other common place
for services to start. (I don't know if lpd uses this method or not.)

--

Chris Harris <charris@rtcmarketing.com>
GNU/Linux --- The best things in life are free.