RE: best practice for crontabs

> Hi,
>
> I have just figured out that there are 4 separate (types of) crontabs in
> debian
>
>     /etc/crontab
>     /etc/cron.d/...
>     /etc/cron.daily, monthly, weekly
>     /var/spool/crontabs/...
>
> but I'm none the wiser about why there are so many ways to do
> such a simple
> thing. Can anyone enlighten me as to which I should use when?
>
> many thanks
>
> Andy

I don't like all the various places to put cron stuff either.  I just
usually do cron inside the user's crontab (/var/spool/crontab).  I don't
mind the /etc/cron.daily,monthly,weekly as much . You put stuff in there
that you want run daily,monthly,weekly.

I still pretty much stick to just crontab -e [user] though so I can see
everything in one place.

Ben