Re: Question RE IDE Tape Drives

Quoting Phillip Hofmeister <plhofmei@zionlth.org>:

> All,
>
> I am looking to install a Seagate Travan 10GB/20GB IDE Tape drive into a
> Debian box.
>
> My question is, what kernel support would one build into the kernel in
> order to get such a drive working?
>
> My first thought would be to use the IDE-SCSI Emulation and then enable
> the SCSI Tape support.  After that use the mt tools as if it were a SCSI
> Tape device.  Would this work?

This is correct.  The ide-tape driver was broken starting several
years ago for this tape drive.  I have it on my todo list to check the
ide-tape driver again, but haven't gotten to it. The ide-scsi driver
will give errors but they are benign.  Save and restore a file to
check/convince yourself.

HTH,
  Jeffrey