Re: networkprinting/cups

On Sun, Feb 29, 2004 at 02:36:03PM +0100, ijbd wrote:
} my desktop has an HP-720C, which works fine on cups locally. If I use
} KDE menu Settings/Printing Manager, I can open a printer wizard
} offering me all kind of things (to be able to push prints to the LAN I
} think, I want to pull them from the LAN). Do I need to do something
} here to make the desktop a network print server?
[...]

Yes.

} Aha, /etc/initd.conf enabled imaps and pop3 only so I removed the #in
} #printer stream tcp nowait lp /usr/lib/cups/daemon/cups-lpd cups-lpd
} and restarted initd on both machines. Probably only required on the desktop.

Completely irrelevant.

} No improvement, what more to do?

The trick is that the machine with the printer connected to it has to 1)
broadcast its print services, and 2) allow printing from the network.
You may also have to set your laptop to listen for available print
services. This involves modifying the /etc/cups/cupsd.conf file. Note
that I have a similar setup to yours, so I've actually done this.

This paragraph applies to both the client (laptop) and server (desktop).
Browsing is supposed to be on by default anyway, but you can search in
the cupsd.conf file for a line about Browsing and make sure it is turned
on and not commented. The BrowseProtocol should also be uncommented, and
it should be set to cups. The BrowseAddress should probably be set to
@LOCAL, but you can put in something more specific if you understand
what you are doing.

On just the server, you must have BrowseAllow @LOCAL (or something more
specific). Now comes the complicated part. You will find a bunch of
sections that start with <Location PATH> where PATH is something like /
or /classes. You must somehow allow the laptop access to certain paths.
My home LAN is behind a NAT, and my network is 192.168.1.x, so I have

Allow From 192.168.1.1/24

...in the /, /classes, /printers <Location> sections. You will want
something similar.

Once you've change the cupsd.conf files on both machines, you'll need to
run /etc/init.d/cupsys restart to get CUPS to reread the configuration.
You should now magically have the HP printer available to the laptop.

} mvg Boudewijn
--Greg