Re: Bad News -- Xfree 4.4 is out

On Sun, 2004-02-29 at 21:21, Colin Watson wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 29, 2004 at 09:06:34PM -0500, Greg Folkert wrote:
> > Sorry Folks... but XFree86 v4.4 is GPL incompatible:
> >
> > to quote from http://xfree86.org/legal/licenses.html
> >
> > ----quote----
> > What about GPL-compatibility?
> >
> > The 1.1 license is not GPL-compatible. To avoid new issues with
> > application programs that may be licensed under the GPL, the 1.1 licence
> > is not being applied to client side libraries.
> > ----end quote----
> >
> > This means that unless SOMETHING is done about the license, it has just
> > become Non-Free. Sorry.
>
> Before spreading FUD, please understand that "GPL-incompatible" is *not*
> the same as non-free. XFree86 4.4 is still under a DFSG-free licence.
Okay, before we get to far along. I may have mis-spoke about being
non-free. But the possibilities are no laughing matter.

http://lists.debian.org/debian-x/2004/debian-x-200402/msg00780.html

Branden has a few things to iron out then.
--
greg, greg@gregfolkert.net

You foment graciously, as ever any dying monster did rot.