SMC wireless woes, need advise

After following wireless postings, I decided to try it out.  I bought a
SMC2804WBR router (802.11b,g w/wep and wap) and a SMC2835W PCIAM card.
After installing it on Win XP (dual boot w/libranet 2.8.1) my windows
broke!  I figured I would install it on the "easy one" first so I can
"see" it in operation.  Now the GUI is broken (tool bar and the tool bar
buttons/key short cuts don't work).  Ever try to fix windows without a GUI?

Then I tried it out on Libranet Tried the support data base method, no-joy.
The card does not light up, no boot-beeps indicating pcmcia cards
found.  I went to www.prism54.org and followed their instructions (the
card in in their data base and is listed as working, that's why I bought
it).  These are the steps I followed:

1:  Using LN support database instructions, downloaded the latest 2.4.23
kernel patch (following the LN link) and installed it.

2:  Downloaded the kernel patch from prism54 and installed it.
Re-compiled the kernel with the prism54 option under networking selected
(you can find the directions under "readme" on the main page)

3:  Rebooted after the kernel compiled.  MISTAKE!  I had no network
apone reboot, but I was not worried as the drivers where not yet
compiled:  So, downloaded the prism54 drivers, make compiled pointing to
my kernel source by /usr/src/linux-2.4.23, make install clean, all asper
the directions in the readme.

Now I don't know what to do or how to do it.  Please note:  Windows
died, linux just has no network.  Hmmmmm so much for the "easy" install
in windows XP.

--
Damon L. Chesser
dchesser@bigfoot.com