Re: New paradigm for Linux distributions?

David Clymer wrote:
On Sat, 2004-02-28 at 15:50, Joel Konkle-Parker wrote:

I posted a small article on a possible future for Linux distributions: http://ballsome.com

Thoughts?

Perhaps I'm just dense, but what's new here? To me, Ian's "plan" sounds
like a fairly good description of debian with "lets all use the same
package format" thrown in (another old idea). How is debian NOT
componentized? Doesn't debian already have a repository of packages
based on apt? Doesnt debian already support the installation of a "core"
system, and then allow one to download any specific components/software
one needs?

I'm not saying that any of this is a bad idea, but why start another
project when one can get the same thing by just using debian?

Perhaps others can tell me what it is about these concepts that I'm
missing.

Well, I guess the difference here (in my idea, anyway) is that the main repository wouldn't be under the control of a single distribution. It'd be a central repository used by all participating distributions.

Currently, Debian's repository is just that - Debian's repository. Yeah, it's very large, and very open to others, but it's still Debian's. I guess if you consider Debian's as "the world's", then we're already there.

--
Joel Konkle-Parker
Webmaster  [Ballsome.com]

E-mail     [jjk3@msstate.edu]