Re: via-rhine (or rhinefelt) and VT6105/VT6103 driver problems with Debian stable

On 29 Feb 2004 at 6:10, Nick Jacobs wrote:

> I also needed to use the via-rhine driver with
> Woody. I used the one from the Scyld site. There
> are some minor things to fix but basically the
> Scyld driver will solve your problems.

By the time I got Nick's very helpful post I had discovered that the
damn LOM was switched off in the BIOS: switching it on gets me one of
the two ports with the 2.4.18-bf2.4 kernel via-rhine module but not
both and I do need both.

So, I got the kernel-header package (so that's where modversions.h
was hiding in I've probably looked through umpteen things telling me
that ... but, to be fair to myself, I did search around and whatever
explains this didn't leap up and hit me).

I also downloaded and compiled via-rhine.c and pc-scan.c.  For the
former I had to hard code he location of modversions.h for the
latter, the explicit -include parameter suggested on the Scyle site
seemed to do the trick.  I now have the two executables: via-rhine.o
and pci-scan.o.  I can see where I'd have to put the via-rhine one to
replace the bf2.4 supplied one but the pci-scan.o file isn't there in
the Debian distribution?  Does that need to be modprobed in
somewhere?

Anyway, more serious problems: I moved supplied via-rhine.o and
replaced it with new one but no joy:

/lib/modules/2.4.18-bf2.4/kernel/drivers/net/via-rhine.o: kernel-
module version mismatch
        /lib/modules/2.4.18-bf2.4/kernel/drivers/net/via-rhine.o was
compiled for kernel version 2.4.18
        while this kernel is version 2.4.18-bf2.4.

Presumably there's something I should have done in the compilation to
make sure it recorded the correct version ID?  Can anyone tell me
what?

TIA,

Chris

P.S. continuing to cross-post to get this well archived, including my
embarrassment about the BIOS, and thanks to everyone who's helped
already.
PSYCTC: Psychotherapy, Psychology, Psychiatry, Counselling
   and Therapeutic Communities; practice, research,
   teaching and consultancy.
Chris Evans & Jo-anne Carlyle
http://psyctc.org/ Email: chris@psyctc.org