Re: Back to woody!

On Sat, Feb 28, 2004 at 03:37:06PM +0000, test524@comcast.net wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I'm a relatively new user who has been learning Linux and Debian by experimenting with a test machine I've set up. Like many newbies, I've gone in over my head--installing backports, trying my hand at compiling my own kernel, etc.
>
> I've now hosed things a bit in a couple of places, and I'd like to start afresh with a perfectly clean woody installation--wiping out all of my config files, reinstalling all packages from stable debs.
>
> Is there a good way to do this, short of reinstalling from scratch?
>
> In short, what I want to do is "apt-get make-debian-look-the-way-it-did-right-after-I-finished-installing" or something similar.

If that's all you want to do, then why not just do a fresh reinstall?

> Is such a magic bullet possible, or should I just go ahead and reinstall? (This is a test machine, so there's nothing too critical on it--just a few 10s of gigs of MP3 files I'd have to reload.)

Oh... I see... this is when it's handy to have a partition to move them
to.  There are some nice linux based GUI HD re-partition programs out
there.  I'm sure it can all be done "by hand" but if you're a newbie
(like I am) then why not go with what works for now...

Anywya.. I once had a situation like yours and what I did was actually
threw in a Mandrake 9.0 installation disk, rebooted, resized the
partitions, then rebooted - prior to actually installing Mandrake.
It has a really nice re-partitioning scheme that allows you to resize
partitions without loosing data on existing partitions, but obviously
you don't want to complete the installation.