Re: Locale problems on 2.6.2 bootup

Incoming from Robert F Merrill:
> David Baron wrote:
>
> >Get error from "locale": Unable to set  .... no such directory.
> >Three items: LC_TYPE, LC_MESSAGES, LC_ALL.
> >
> >Had not heard of these previously. LANG is the only locale-keyword set in
> >env. All the others in shown in the "man" for locale are not set. The
> >above are not cited. Note that KDE has its own localizations but these are
> >not exported, apparently.
>
> I get this too... quick grep in /etc/init.d for LC_TYPE comes up blank.
> What does this, bash?

Of course.  In a raw session, type "set" and see what's there.  If you
didn't do it, it's probably coming from /etc/profile

See the files /etc/locale.(alias|gen), fiddle with them if you must,
then run "locale-gen" and maybe "dpkg-reconfigure locales".  The root
acct. should be left locale "C", but you can choose anything that
makes sense for user sessions.

- -