Sound and Linux Kernel 2.6

Ok so I have Debian installed, and I like it a lot, but I can’t get the sound card to work, can’t even get ALSA to work.  So I decided to just run Knoppix from the CD drive, and it successfully detects my sound card, and it works there.  I really don’t want to use Knoppix, just want to use Debian ‘sarge’.  But without sound, kinda not useful for some other things I want to do (ie MythTV).  So I know that the linux kernel 2.6 has ALSA already built in, found a website that walked me through it but it didn’t work.  I reboot and LILO is really screwed up.  Anyone have some suggestions.  Especially how to update sarge to kernel 2.6.  Thanks and would appreciate it.

-DarDack

btw I do have a supported sound card, esnoiqs 1370, snd-es1370 (or ens1370 can’t remember right now).  In debian if I click on the sound icon, it says can’t find /dev/mixer/sound or /dev/sound/mixer  no device exists.  Don’t know if that helps.  Thanks.