changing to debian from slackware

Hi,

I have an old dual 133mhz pentium server (64mb ram, ~8Gb scsi harddisk) with
slackware 9.1 installed. Before I chose slackware, I pondered for a while whether
to install debian or slackware. I've also used RH 7.2.

I've become a little unstaisfied with slackware for a few reasons: (1) their
webmaster (@slackware.com) didn't reply when I sent him a mail about a mistake on
the site that might befuddle people new to slac. (2) the number of packages is
really small (30% of my software is compiled from source because of this). (3)
the package tools are not powerful and good enough (there is no command I know of
to check for updates on all packages installed, or to fetch packages from the net). (4) the packages are old (I want to have a 2.6 kernel :) and (5) some packages
don't work!

I've heard people say that debians package system is great (and doesn't have
problems 2-5 :). So now I'm seriously thinking about switching to debian.

Any tips (I want to keep my config the same and avoid reconffin')?
Differences between debian and slack?
Comments?
Advice?

Please forward a copy to joelli@mbnet.fi, I'm not a subscriber (and don't want to