rhinefet.o? (getting VT6105 LAN on motherboard working with Debian stable 3.0r2)

Hope that subject line is clear: I'm increasingly aware that the
greatest poportion of good technical documentation on Debian is on
list archives but that needs us all to be explicit...

Has anyone got a VIA EPIA-CL mini-ITX motherboard working with its
LAN on motherboard (LOM) VT6105 controller presenting one or both of
the ethernet ports for use?  I've tried and I'm failing and would
hugely appreciate help.  More technical detail below.

TIA,

Chris

Motherboard is described at:
http://www.viavpsd.com/product/epia_cl_spec.jsp?motherboardId=181
says: chipset is - VIA CLE266 North Bridge and - VIA VT8235 South
Bridge and: - VIA VT6105 LOM - VT6103 10/100 Base -T 10/100 Fast
Ethernet Controller.  CPU is detected as "Centaur VIA Nehemiah
stepping 03"

Installing the supplied rhine driver module at installation fails
with an error message that I've not written down but it's clear it's
not a compatible driver for the hardware.

I have installed a Sitecom rtl 8139too based PCI card (with some
difficulty as the 2.4.* kernel install I'd selected didn't seem to
offer this: a change from 2.2.*?) and that's working fine now so not
just about me misunderstanding module installs.

I have dragged down the LAN driver on the VIA site:
http://www.viavpsd.com/product/2/2/Audio_Driver_rev3.40b.zip
unzipped it, gone to LINUX directory, unzipped etc. the rhinefet
module source there and tried to compile it but here I'm going beyond
my competence: the Makefile clearly expects the kernel source to be
laid our rather differently from the way it actually is and I'm not
beyond my sphere of competence.

Has someone succeeded in compiling a working module I could just use
or can someone talk me through more of the problems?  Or point me
elsewhere?  Or suggest a more appropriate list or board on which to
ask?

PSYCTC: Psychotherapy, Psychology, Psychiatry, Counselling
   and Therapeutic Communities; practice, research,
   teaching and consultancy.
Chris Evans & Jo-anne Carlyle
http://psyctc.org/ Email: chris@psyctc.org