Re: openoffice

On Fri, Feb 27, 2004 at 12:14:54PM +0000, Colin Watson wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 27, 2004 at 12:07:13PM +0000, Brian Brazil wrote:
> > Oh the pain I had with this. Set up your locale properly and it will
> > work. I put enteries in /etc/security/env.conf for LC_LANG IIRC.
>
> Nearly. See locale(7).
>
> > 'C' doesn't work.
>
> ?! That's a bug.

Actually C does work. I'm at the system now and will enable sshd
to stop me making mistakes like this due to me not having a debian root
A/C handy.

The problem is that bug doesn't appear to be fully deterministic so I'm
not sure what the correct solution is exactly. Now using
`env -u LC_ALL oowriter` works fine. I originally tested with
`LC_ALL='C' oowriter` IIRC when I got it working. (I use bash)

Further investigation reveals that 'locales' doesn't even need to be
installed. IIRC I was running 1.0.something when this was happening. I'm
running 1.1.0-3 now.

Looking at the DEBIAN.Readme LC_ALL or LANG needs to be set to
something valid if openoffice.org-l10n-(en|de) isn't installed.

I must sumise that I installed openoffice.org-l10n-en at some point and
fixed the problem that was previously handled by LC_ALL. It appears that
-en is a depend and seems to have been for over a year by dependancies
shown in bug reports. Weird...

Hopefully something helpful in there for you. You should try running
oowriter in your prefered xterm - it gives some useful output.

> I much prefer putting things in shell startup files to messing with
> /etc/environment

Whats the proper way to do this? My solution does seem to be a bit of
a kludge - not that I've just removed it.

Brian