Problems with Proftpd

I have setup Proftpd as an anonymous ftp server.  However, only telnet and the
ftp command seem to be able to connect to it.  I have tried lynx, lftp and ncftp
and they all give me error messages like "delaying before reconnect", "alert,
can't access document" and other such cryptic errors.  I simply uncommented the
<anonymous ~ftp> section including the part that allows an incoming directory.
And I can login to the server using the ftp command as well as using telnet.
How can I fix it so all clients can connect?

Thanks for any help,
PRINCE