Re: Sound

Hanno Böttcher wrote:

MacNean Tyrrell wrote:

OK I got debian up and running, but it seems I never installed ALSA or some other sound device for my sound card. Any commands I can run to do this?

apt-get install alsa?
If you use a prebuild kernel (I assume you do with a fresh install) there are prebuild alsa modules also. I guess you are using stable, and I don't know if alsa is working with it or what version of alsa there is in stable. Look at backports.org and apt-get.org if you are missing packages and change your /etc/apt/sources.list accordingly if you want to take packages from there. (you can search for packages with "apt-cache search xyz" and look a package with some details with "apt-cache show xyz").

Hope to be of some help.

P.S.: look at http://www.openoffice.de/linux/buch/ or www.debian.org in the documentation section for some general information about debian

Sorry, I just saw that the debian book I approved is in german, so forget about that. But there are many books, howtos, faqs etc. on how to install debian and its package system.