Re: Debian on Dell

On Thu, Feb 26, 2004 at 01:34:40AM -0500, Faheem Mitha wrote:

> Dear People,
>
> I just started a job at Duke. I've been told to put together a machine
> quote for my office. I want to run Debian on it. I tried to persuade my
> employer to use Monarch, but was told I have to use Dell.
>
> I'm not sure of the best way to go about putting together a machine from
> Dell which has good general Linux support as opposed to Red Hat support.
>
> I've taken a look at Dell's Precision line of workstations, but it looks
> less than ideal. For one things the descriptions are less than specific
> about what hardware is included. Also, there is not as much choice as I
> would like. I was hoping to somehow actually be able to do a significant
> amount of customization without breaking the bank.
>
> I'd greatly appreciate hearing about people's experiences of success with
> Debian on Dell, and related advice, suggestions, and working
> configurations. Thanks in advance.

I love the Poweredge base models.  Go to Ebay and search 400SC and you will find
many brand new "unopened" ones with 2Ghz processors for $250.
Shipping is around $70.  Not sure why the market is flooded with them.
A year ago the market was flooded with 500SC's and I bought several
for Debian file/print/email/web servers for my small business clients.

Just checked Dell.com and there base SC is now $275 after rebates.

Go find a GIG of RAM for another $100-$200 and you have a very nice machine.

Get another 40GB drive for $40 from Best buy and do software RAID1
and there you go!  Doesn't get any cheaper or better than that.

The important thing, in my opinion, is the cooling system and these
basic Poweredge units have nice fans and air-flow.