Re: PCL only printer

<snip>

> Do you have the hpijs package installed?

Yes.  I was [mindlessly?] following the documentation for 'gs' first
telling me where to get the source code for hpijs.  I retrieved it,
built it, installed it, tried it but no dice.  When you asked this
question, I realized there is likely a Debian package for hpijs . . .
which there is! :)  So I uninstalled the one I built in /usr/local and
installed the Debian package instead.  Still no dice, however.  I call
hpijs using the following line in the printcap (using lprng and ifhp):

	:ifhp=pcl_ps,hpijs

Hpijs clearly seems to provide a driver for an HP deskjet 932C but I
still can't get it to work as a postscript printer yet.  By the way,
when I try the 'gs -sDEVICE=hpijs file.ps' command with Debian's
packaging of hpijs, I get the same error message given in my initial
message.

> <snip>
> > of that "another job has [/dev/lpi] open".  First off, what is
> > /dev/lpi?  This didn't exist for me so I made it a link to /dev/lp0 to
> > try to cover my bases.  Still no success.
>
> I think the "i" must refer to a subscript as in lp[i], i={0,1,2..}

Ah.

> BTW I usually struggle through the printing stuff too (no guru here).
> HTH

Well, thanks so much for the response.  I appreciate any ideas/help I
can get.

Paul