Re: OT: google or debian-user?

Hello

xucaen@access-4-free.com (<xucaen@access-4-free.com>) wrote:

> It is a shame that at times debian-user can be so inhospitable
> to debain users.

It is not debian-user that is inhospitable, it are the other readers (or
some of them). In many cases this has a reason, one being that they
don't want to read the same questions over and over again. Because of
the amount of traffic on the list, it can become nearly impossible to
find the interesting discussions.

> I think it is unfair to have a
> question answered with "try google" or some other variation
> of RTFM. Am I to understand that instead of using the
> debian-user list that I should use a search engine?

You should use a search engine (especially groups.google.com) /before/
asking here. In most cases that will mean /instead/ of asking here,
because probably your question has been asked and answered before.

> I was  under the impression that the debian-user list was a forum
> for debian users.

Yes, but it is not the only one.

> I always search the debain-user archives before asking a
> question and if I don't find an answer then
> I ask my question. Generally I do not do google searches
> unless I am seaking global information such as "is my
> hardware supported under linux". But I know that debain does
> things differently than the way other distros do things,
> (otherwise there would be no need for .deb packages, right?)
> so in most cases I figure the problem has something to do
> with a debain specific driver or setting.

That doesn't mean you can't find an answer outside of debian-user. Many
Debian users ask questions in web forums, or newsgroups like
comp.os.linux.*.

best regards
        Andreas Janssen

PGP-Key-ID: 0xDC801674