Re: Talk on "Why Linux, Why Debian"

On Wednesday 25 February 2004 06.20, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> 	With less than a day to go, I have put my talk up on the net
>  at http://people.debian.org/~srivasta/talk.html.  Comments welcome.
>
> 	I would like to thank all the people who helped me put this
>  together.  Now, if only I don't blank out in stage fright tomorrow ;-)

Cool!

Nitpick: isn't 'underrated' written in one word?

| Debian packages trace theirs relationships to each other not merely through
| a flat dependency/conflicts mechanism, but a richer set of nuanced
| relationships -- Pre dependencies, ordinary dependencies, recommendations,
| suggestions, conflicts, and enhances relationships.

I'm not sure what somebody totally unfamiliar with the Debian packaging system
will take home from this - it all sounds familiar to me, but isn't it perhaps
a bit short for the unitiated?

| You can fine-tune the degree of risk you want to take. On some of our
| machines (the server, the kiosk machines) we run `stable'. Some of the other

Did I miss where you introduced the stable/testing/unstable system in Debian,
or does the audience already know it?

| When it comes to portability, NetBSD is supposed to be the byword. However,
| I went and had a good, hard look at what is suported by NetBSD, and Debian:
| I found that debian supports ibm s/390 and ia64, while NetBSD has support
| for sun2 (m68010), PC532 (whatever that is), and VAX. I am sure which set I
| am more interested in (though it might be cool to have a VAX puttering
| around in the basement).

:-)

Perhaps you want to mention that NetBSD also has a high count on supported
architectures, because what they count as an architecture, Debian sometimes
calls a subarchitecture (and thus doesn't count in its 11 supported archs)?

Typo:
| I have anecdotal evidence if it not being as sa...
s/if/of/

Nit:
| hobbyists and übergeeks
No charset info in HTTP header?

| I can emphasize this enough: for "serious"/production usage, binary distros
s/can/can't/

supporting & installing many machines: mention that RH has kickstart, other
available solutions, fai, ...?

Typo:
| would be far better choices than OpenBSD of base Debian Stable.
s/of/or/

> http://people.debian.org/~srivasta/talk.html

Is this a stable URL? I'd like to bookmark it, and throw it around whenever a
Distro war breaks out :-)

greets
-- vbi

--