dhcp3-server and pcmcia

Hello,

I'm trying to use an old Compaq Contura with 2 3COM 3c589D pcmcia NIC's as a router/firewall between my home network and my cable modem. I use Debian3.0r2 and Shorewall 1.4. The internal network should be served with DHCP(dhcp3).
Here are two little problems:
1) dhcp3-server won't start by itself. It is started from /etc/rc2.d/S20dhcp3-server. The pcmcia service is also S20 from rc2.d. The NIC's (at least the one for the internal network) seem not to be ready when dhcp3-server is started. About 20 seconds after the pcmcia service is started this nic's reports to be initialized. When I start dhcp3-server from the commandline afterwards it starts without any problem. 2) Messages appear in the active console about switching from coax to 10baseT for eth0 (not connected yet). I found something in /etc/pcmcia/network.opts (IF_PORT) but cannot figure out how this affects each NIC. I tried 'ifport eth0 10baseT' from the command-line and this works. My question is how can I arrange both things the Debian way so I keep my system standard (for updates and maintainance)?

Grts, Serge Tensen

MSN Zoeken helpt je om de gekste dingen te vinden! http://search.msn.nl