downloading only diffs from kernel-source update?

Hi ! I'm running woody and try to stay up to date with security updates.

We had recently 2 updates for the kernel. Downloading 24 MB over modem takes a bit of patience, so I tried to download only the diffs.gz file and patch it.

First reverse patch from old debian version to orig files, then patch the new version.
Apparently it worked (I had some warnings about debian/rules, debian/official not beeing there but I believe it was safe to simply ignore them).

My questions are:
1) Is there a chance I did something wrong and end up having the security flaw not corrected or something broken in my kernel

2) How do I tell apt-get that I already have the fix, and still become the next update

3) Perhaps there is an easier/better way to do this

Alexandre