Re: Debian-installer hangs at ide-floppy detect on Dell laptop

On Mon, Feb 23, 2004 at 02:54:05PM -0800, Ian Neubert wrote:
> I just downloaded beta 2 of the debian-installer from
> http://gluck.debian.org/cdimage/testing/sarge_d-i/i386/beta2/sarge-i386-neti
> nst.iso (from: http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer/).
>
> I tried to load it up on my laptop and it consistently hangs at 'Detecting
> hardware / 95% / Skipping unavailable module 'ide-floppy' for 'Linux IDE
> floppy'.
>
> Is this a known bug? Anyone else have this problem? I'm not quite sure how
> to file a bug report on it. Is there no web-based Bugzilla-like interface to
> submit a bug?

No, you send mail, as per http://www.debian.org/Bugs/Reporting; you can
use the 'reportbug' program to help you. The package name for this is
"installation-reports". Bug reports against that package go to the
debian-boot mailing list, so you might want to check the archives of
that list to see if anyone else has been talking about the problem.

(Personally, I think mail-based bug reporting is a feature from lots of
points of view, although other people's mileage seems to vary ... at any
rate it's not significantly harder than sending a mail to this list once
you know that you need to put a magic line "Package:
installation-reports" at the very top of your message body.)

Cheers,