Re: no hard disk drive detected on installation

----- Original Message Follows -----
> >> I have two hard drives in my computer and I'm going to
> dual boot with
> >> Windows 98. Both hard drives -- a Maxtor and a Western
> Digital -- are
> >> formatted for and work with Windows. My hard drive
> controller is a Promise
> >> Ultra ATA 66.
> >>
> >> I am eager to try out Debian but have no idea where to
> start with this
> >> problem. Does anyone have any ideas?
> >>

> >Try running the install with the 2.4 series kernel
> instead...it might
> >help :\
> >
> >To do this, at the screen when the cdrom initialy boots
> (the boot:
> >prompt) type 'bf24' and hit enter. Eg
> >
> >boot: bf24<ENTER>
> >
> >it might solve your problem :)
> >--
> >Cheers,
> >rinmak <rinmak@technine.org>
> >

> I booted bf24 and it detected the hard drives. I suppose
> the hard part
> begins now.
>
> Thank you for helping.

Hi all, I posted a question yesterday relating to a siig
ultra ata 133.(#Subject: installing woody using siig ultra
ata/133 pci card #Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2004 18:57:07 -0500) I
try booting the bf24 kernel but my drive isn't detected.
Does the kernel only support the Promise cards? Maybe there
is something about boot from CD-rom attached to the onboard
IDE that blocks detection of the ultra ata? Does anyone know
how this all works? I really can't afford to buy a new PC
just to upgrade the hard drive.  :-(

jim