Re: Preserving changes to resolv.conf?

On Sun, Feb 22, 2004 at 11:17:28PM -0600, Joel Konkle-Parker wrote:
> I made some changes to /etc/resolv.conf, but after a reboot, it's back
> to its old self. Specifically, I changed the nameserver lines to
> something other than what DHCP (I presume) set them to.
>
> How do I tell the system that I set my own nameserver lines, and don't
> want them overwritten?

Which dhcp client do you use?

With dhclient this was my method

I'm sure there is a more official method - but I couldn't figure out
the dhclient.conf file :(

I just edited /etc/dhclient-script and added two lines to the
make_resolve_conf() function:

make_resolv_conf() {
  new_domain_name=marshwiggle.net
  new_domain_name_servers=192.168.1.1
  echo search $new_domain_name >/etc/resolv.conf
  for nameserver in $new_domain_name_servers; do
    echo nameserver $nameserver >>/etc/resolv.conf
  done
}

If someone can give the official way to do this via dhclient.conf then
I'd be happy to know - but none of the options I tried seemd to work
:(

cheers

dc

--
David Purton
dcpurton@chariot.net.au

For the eyes of the LORD range throughout the earth to
strengthen those whose hearts are fully committed to him.
                                 2 Chronicles 16:9a