Re: DVD copying and CSS

s. keeling writes:
> Previously, this was accepted behaviour; making backup copies of
> originals was just something that was done.

I don't recall anyone making backup copies of books or vinyl records.

> If I'm not mistaken, this falls under "fair use" provisions of copyright
> law, and the last I heard, these provisions have not been repealed.

You are mistaken.  Making copies of an entire work is, in most
circumstances, not fair use.  Making backups is permitted under some
circumstance, but under different law.

> I think that accusation is better pointed at the publishers.

One act of hypocrisy does not excuse another.
--
John Hasler
john@dhh.gt.org