Re: DVD copying and CSS

Pigeon wrote:
On Sun, Feb 22, 2004 at 07:47:24AM -0600, John Hasler wrote:

Vineet Kumar writes:

This way if anything gets scratched, stolen, melted on the dash, etc.,
I'm only out the cost of CDRs.

But the publisher has lost the sale of a replacement CD, which is why they
don't want you to do it (of course, if the CD only cost a buck or two you
probably wouldn't).

But what happens if the CD (LP, cassette, DVD, whatever) in question is no
longer published? Are the publishers to keep all titles available
forever? (I think they should, I wish they would, but the trouble is,
they don't...)

Not only that, but most media (software, music, video) that you buy
nowadays, says that you are not buying the content.  You are only
receiving a license to use the content.  Under that rationale, if your
media become damaged or stolen (and you can provide proof purchase),
the publisher should replace them four only the cost of new media
(e.g., $2 for a DVD, $.25 for a CD, and so on).  But I have a hard
time believing that it happens that way.

-Roberto