Re: Dual boot Debian/Windows question

Mark Phillips wrote:

My laptop is set up to dual boot Debian (sid) and Windows 2000. What is the best way to be able to share files between the two OSs?

The Linux howtwo on this subject warns about directly mounting My Documents from Windows in Linux, and suggests creating a separate vfat partition to share files. Is that really necessary? What are the
 reasons (they were not mentioned in the article)?

I have mounted Windows partitions on dual boot laptops and desktops
for years and had no problems. Of course, there will be the usual
DOS/UNIX line termination issues.

I make a directory /dosc

drwxrwxrwx   18 root     root        16384 Dec 31  1969 dosc

In /etc/fstab I have an entry:

/dev/hda1 /dosc vfat   defaults,rw,user,umask=0   0  0

And it's mounted at boot time. Your Windows device may be different.
Note: the file system is vfat, *not* ntfs. If your Windows partition is
ntfs, then there are all kinds of warnings about mounting such a
partition as read-write in the howto's.

HTH.

Kirk
--
Theorie ist, wenn man alles weiss und nichts klappt.
Praxis ist, wenn alles klappt und keiner weiss warum.