Re: Kernel compile blues

Deboo <deboo@debian.elitemail.org> writes:

> VFS: Cannot open root device "" or 03:06

Did you compile in the correct filesystem? (ie ext3, ext2).  When you
are using initrd, did you compile in support for initrd *and* ram?

I generally avoid initrd if I can, and only use if I building generic
kernels (which is about never)

Also, note that 2.6 kernels won't work in Woody unless you have
backports of module-init-tools (and probably a couple of other stuff).

> 4. make menuconfig (If this is a re-compile of the same kernel I'm
> currently using, then copy the it's .config to this dir)

If you are upgrading, do make oldconfig

> 7. If all ok, run make modules_install (Sometimes all is ok till step 6
> but this one fails)
> 8.  If all ok, copy arch/i386/boot/bzImage to /boot/vmlinuz-2.x.x
> 9. Copy System.map to /boot/System.map-2.x.x

I usually copy before I make modules_install, but I don't know if it
makes any difference

> 11. Make an initrd image: mkinitrd -r /dev/hdax -o initrd-2.x.x.img
> /lib/modules/2.x.x

Is the -r switch really necessary?  And I never added
/lib/modules/2.x.x.   Did you make changes to
/etc/mkinitrd/mkinitrd.conf and /etc/mkinitrd/modules to add the modules
you need to boot up?

--
John L. Fjellstad