Re: GCC

On Sun, Feb 22, 2004 at 02:56:29PM -0500, Mike M wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 20, 2004 at 09:40:07PM +0100, John L Fjellstad wrote:
> > The old <stdlib.h> will still be available in the C++ standard, but the
> > functions and variables won't be in the std namespace.
>
> I really must read up more on the namespace feature and why I'd
> want to change the standard namespace. Googling around I find a
> 1998 email that reports pre-standard C++ will soon die. In 2004
> I see the Mozilla coding standard recommend against using the
> namespace feature because it is not implemented well on all C++
> compilers that they use.  Six years have past and the standard
> C++ is still not embedded where it counts - in the compilers.

Mike, I'm trying to say this in the nicest way, but please stop being
such a twit. I'm not going to argue with you any more. If you want more
information, you should look at items 28 and 49 in Meyers' _Effective
C++_, or take it up with the C++ gurus in comp.lang.C++{,.moderated}.

As a final note, namespaces are here to stay whether you like it or not,
so you may want to spend your time finding another windmill to tilt at.

--
Dave Carrigan
Seattle, WA, USA