Re: aic7xxx kernel freeze...

On Sat, Feb 21, 2004 at 12:55:12PM +0100, Ignacio M?s Ivars wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> I have a problem that is driving me crazy. I am trying install a custom
> version of the 2.4.24 kernel no matter what I do it freezes dead when
> trying to load the aic7xxx driver. I have tried to compile the driver in
> the kernel, as a module, both the driver and the SCSI support as a
> module, I have also tried to use the old aic7xxx driver, and still the
> system freezes after displaying the 'SCSI subsystem driver Revision:
> 1.00' message.

So you're not getting the "PCI: Found IRQ x for device y" message?
Perhaps you have an APIC problem? Try turning the APIC off in BIOS
Setup, or playing with the APIC kernel config options.

> scsi0 : Adaptec AIC7XXX EISA/VLB/PCI SCSI HBA DRIVER, Rev 6.2.4
>         <Adaptec 29160 Ultra160 SCSI adapter>
>         aic7892: Ultra160 Wide Channel A, SCSI Id=7, 32/253 SCBs

I've got a 2940 (aic7895, rev. 6.2.36); all built-in as the SCSI bus
hosts my boot filesystem; works fine for me, never had a problem. Was
using a custom 2.4.24 until I installed 2.6.2 the other day.

> CONFIG_AIC7XXX_CMDS_PER_DEVICE=8

I've got 253 here...

> CONFIG_AIC7XXX_RESET_DELAY_MS=15000

...and 1000 here, cos I don't wanna wait 15 seconds :-)

> Any hints of what can be wrong? I am running out of ideas!

No clue, really; since I've never had a problem, my suggestions are
only really wild guesses.

> Please, Cc to my e-mail address...

Please set Mail-Followup-To: :-)

--