vim going autonomous on .tex files

ii  vim            6.2-149+1      Vi IMproved - enhanced vi editor

Editing some TeX files, I was unpleasantly surprised to find vim
change '==' into '&=&' (no quotes), and also entering <*> after
certain constructs. This does not happen in other types of file
(mainly mail, .py, .cpp, .vim, .sh, and various .rc)

What's even worse is that this happens on one machine and not on
another with the same vim installed.

I checked google[0], all tex.vim files, and also my abbreviations
list, but I could find no suspect. What's causing this, and more
importantly, how can I turn it off?

On a related note, TeX files are automatically folded upon opening.
This is quite nice, actually, but drives me nuts since I can't turn
it off. Again, no tex.vim file contains the 'fold' keyword, and TeX
files are the only ones where it happens.

Please inform me what's causing this and how I can turn it off.

Thanks,

[0] If someone can give me a hint how to search for '&=&' in google,
    I'd be really grateful and could stop asking stoopid questions.
    Fact is that "&=&" with double quotes searches for a lot more
    than just that string.

`. `'`