Re: tar and excluding a directory

On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 at 3:05pm, Oliver Fuchs wrote:

:I want to tar the whole / tree but want to exclude the /dev directory. In
:the man pages I only found how to exclude single files. Is there a chance
:to exclude a whole directory using the tar command?

Not to start the whole info vs man thing again, but 'info tar' gives a
whole lot more detail than 'man tar'.  (I detest info; I particularly
detest the tar info, which requires multiple levels of digging to find
anything.)

I think what you're looking for is "--exclude==PATTERN" which excludes
files (remember that, in UN*X, everything's a file, including directories)
which match the pattern.  I always substitute 'v' for 'c' the first time I
run a tar command, to make sure it's going to do what I expect!

Patrick

--
Patrick Wiseman                               pwiseman@mindspring.com
Linux user #17943                             *Google First, Ask Later*