Kaddressbook suicide

Anyone else had problems with this lately?  I upgraded sid a week or so ago
and my whole address book in KDE vanished.  I have been unable to work out
where on the disk it is supposed to be to look for the old file -- it seems
not to be in ~/.kde/share/apps, which is where I thought it might be.
Anyway, I finally got round to exporting a nearly up-to-date list from my
desktop machine (export to list, which means cvs), and importing the list
back onto the laptop.  Slightly laborious as kaddressbook doesn't recognise
its own output and you have to manually allocate every column and tell it to
strip quotes on every column.  But works fine.  Saved it and exited.
Reopened kaddressbook -- nothing there.

Either
 - kaddressbook doesn't know where it saves the data either,
 - there is a permissions problem and kaddressbook fails to write silently.
 - new security feature "this database will autodestruct on exit.  Your
   mission, should you decide to accept it, is to re-create the database
   when the app restarts"

Any thoughts?

TIA

--