Re: what package creates /var/log/faillog?

On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 03:25:27 +0800
Dan Jacobson <jidanni@jidanni.org> wrote:

> What package creates /var/log/faillog?
> What is the recommended way of finding out next time without posting
> here?$ strings /var/log/faillog
> tty1

stax:~/Downloads-540> man -k faillog
faillog (5)          - Login failure logging file
faillog (8)          - examine faillog and set login failure limits

. . .told me that the file was a standard file, documented in
section 5 in the manual, with an admin program in section 8 that
examines it.  Looking at those two man pages ("man 5 faillog"
and "man 8 faillog") confirmed that.

Since the man pages suggest that the file is a log of failed
login attempts, I figured it was probably associated with the
login process.  To check this, I went looking to find what
package contains the program faillog, since it probably also
contains the programs that create /var/log/faillog as well.
So . . .

stax:~/Downloads-543> apt-file search faillog
login: usr/bin/faillog
login: usr/bin/faillog
login: usr/bin/faillog
login: usr/share/man/fr/man5/faillog.5.gz
login: usr/share/man/fr/man5/faillog.5.gz
login: usr/share/man/ja/man5/faillog.5.gz
login: usr/share/man/ja/man5/faillog.5.gz
login: usr/share/man/ja/man8/faillog.8.gz
login: usr/share/man/ja/man8/faillog.8.gz
login: usr/share/man/man5/faillog.5.gz
login: usr/share/man/man5/faillog.5.gz
login: usr/share/man/man5/faillog.5.gz
login: usr/share/man/man8/faillog.8.gz
login: usr/share/man/man8/faillog.8.gz
login: usr/share/man/man8/faillog.8.gz
login: usr/share/man/pl/man5/faillog.5.gz
login: usr/share/man/pl/man5/faillog.5.gz
login: usr/share/man/pl/man8/faillog.8.gz
login: usr/share/man/pl/man8/faillog.8.gz

HTH.

-c

		(remove "snip-me." to email)