Re: PCL only printer

On Thu, Feb 19, 2004 at 02:20:28PM -0800, Paul Yeatman wrote:
> Hi, I recently inherited an HP Deskjet 932C printer.  Apparently this
> only uses the PCL printer language.  As I need to be able to print
> postscript for this to be of much use to me, I've been struggling to
> make this happen.
>
> I'm running stable Debian using lprng and ifhp as printer software.
> According to ifhp documentation, I need to us ghostscript to convert a
> postscript to (I suppose) PCL so that it can be printed on a printer
> like mine.  Ultimately, this can be setup in the ifhp config file but
> I'm trying to successfully show that I can do this with ghostscript,
> 'gs', alone first.

	I ran for years and years with a PCL printer under lpd.  So it's
definitely possible.  I haven't configured it under Debian, though.  I did
it with printtool, both under Red Hat 6.2 and Libranet 2.0 through 2.7.  I
was never able to get it to work under CUPS, not because it was PCL, but
because its parallel interface was receive-only and it couldn't report
identification and status back to the host's parallel port.
	As far as I could tell, the only file that needed to be configured
after installing lpd was /etc/printcap.  Unfortunately, there's some stuff
in there that isn't well-documented, so I had to let printtool do the job.
You could probably download it from Red Hat, or there might even be a .deb
for all I know.