Re: kernel-source-* packages

Olle Eriksson wrote:
Hi

What is the difference between the kernel source from kernel.org and the
Debian kernel-source-* packages? The only thing I can find about that is
some discussion from 1997 concluding that there is no difference except
that the debian packages handles the /usr/src/linux symlink for you.
Sorry if I am missing some obvious docs now.

The Debian kernels contain certain additional patches, and also
security patches.  So, if you run Woody and have kernel-source-2.4.18
installed with version number 2.4.18-14.2, then you have a 2.4.18
source tree that is patched against all the vulnerabilities discovered
since its realease.

Here is an excerpt from the changelog:

kernel-source-2.4.18 (2.4.18-14.2) stable-security; urgency=high

  * Non-maintainer upload by the Security Team
  * Applied patch extracted from Solar Designer's Owl patched kernel to
    fix local privilege escalation discovered by Paul Starzetz
    (CAN-2004-0077)

 -- Martin Schulze <joey@infodrom.org>  Sat, 31 Jan 2004 16:58:14 +0100

kernel-source-2.4.18 (2.4.18-14.1) stable-security; urgency=high

  * Non-maintainer upload by the Security Team
  * Applied patch by Andrea Arcangeli to fix local privilege escalation
    discovered by Paul Starzetz (CAN-2003-0985)

 -- Martin Schulze <joey@infodrom.org>  Mon,  5 Jan 2004 16:37:09 +0100

If you were using the kernel.org sources, you would need to do this
yourself manually, or upgrade to version 2.4.25.

And, about that /usr/src/linux symlink. I have installed new kernels
from the kernel-source packages a few times and I have never seen this
symlink on my system. Is it safe to be without it?

IIRC, /usr/src/linux is only needed if you decide to compile a new
libc on your own.  Otherwise, it is unnecessary.

The reason I am asking is that I am in the process of downloading the
source for 2.6.3 from kernel.org and install it on my unstable system.

See my above note about tracking the kernel.org sources.

Thanks
Olle Eriksson

-Roberto Sanchez