Re: Re: Help urgently needed before there's a blackout!

On Fri, 20 Feb 2004, Roberto Sanchez wrote:

 ----- Original message -----
 From: "Roberto Sanchez" <rcsanchez97@yahoo.es>
 To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
 Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 15:40:46 -0500
 Subject: Re: Help urgently needed before there's a blackout!

 > I do not know what exact version of glibc is needed, I mean what package,
 > or I could fetch from packages.debian.org
 >

 > This is what I get when I try to login:
 >
 > -bash: /lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.3' not found (required by
 > /lib/libncurses.so.5)

> It should go something like this.
>
> 1. Boot KNOPPIX
> 2. Download the necessary .deb files from your favorite mirror
> 3. Open a shell
> 4. Execute these commands (assuming you replace libc and ncurses):
>
> $ su -
> # mount /mnt/hda1
> # dpkg -X *.deb /mnt/hda1
> # chroot /mnt/hda1/ /bin/bash
> # apt-get install --reinstall libc6/stable libncurses5/stable
>
> Please note that it is possible to this from your currently booted
> system, but it is even more dangerous that way.
>
> Consider it a hard lesson learned.

Thanks for the detailed advice! But I have more problems, using this
advice. I do have one knoppix lite and one mini knoppix's iso on tbhbis
hard disk *but* I can't burn them anyway on to a CD. I have a CD Drive
which ha gone bad and was to take it to a repair shop this weekend, so
booting thru knoppix wouldn't be an option for me I guess.

Other option I have is - I have another hard disk which I'm not currently
using which has Mandrake 8.2 on it.  Can I use it to boot, then chroot in
to this debian root and then ... well, I guess I can't use apt-get then,
isn't it?

It's got a working vmware on it tho, if I could use that for booting the
knoppix iso on this hard disk, then chrooting thru that knoppix in to this
debian root and doing things as you said above? Seems complex but I guess
I could give it a try? I'm not ready to reinstall.

Thanks for the help ... I survived a quick brownout a few minutes ago.
Regards,
Deboo