using chroot to get packages needed for wireless card

There was a recent reply to an users problem where he could boot up with knoppix, issue chroot and then download and install some packages to his "out of commision" machine.

Being new to this scheme I saw a ray of light burst forth with a possible fix for my problem. I posted earlier about a Linksys WPC11 card and a clean install of Debian. Can I boot to knoppix and upgrade my woody to unstable with this feature/tool? Being KNOPPIX supports my card on boot up this would make my problem solving much easier.

If so could you explain how this might be done to a newbie?

Thanks