Re: Why Linux, Why Debian

On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 10:09, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> Hi,
>

>  9) Does the gentoo configurability deliver significantly better
>     performance? Is the added step of compilation too much of an
>     inconvenience?

By compiling all applications with optimisations for your processor, you can
have your machine do nothing between keystrokes and/or mouse clicks a whole
lot faster than it otherwise would.  Naturally you want time critical code
such as the kernel optimised but there is no need to use gentoo for that.

>  11) Is it easy for you to discover new software when not using
>      Debian? When using gentoo? When using one of the BSD's?

Dunno, I've been known to google for what I want, get an app name, do an
apt-cache search for that name, and sure enough it's on my debian cds.
Sarge has 11 cds against the 7 for Woody. That is a mind boggling collection
of software.

Too new to comment on the other points.

Cheers
Bob