Re: Xfree86: "no screens found" with default configuration

John Christian wrote:
> I've installed the xfree86 packages plus gnome, and so far haven't
> touched /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 generated by debconf, but it's giving me
> the following error on startx:
>
> fatal error: no screens found.
>
> And I certainly have a 'Section "Screen"' in my config file.  I'm not
> sure what else it could mean.
>
> Thanks,
> -john

I encountered that error once and the fix for me was to disable
frame buffer stuff in the config.
Look for a line like this:
         Option          "UseFBDev"              "true"
and put a # in front of it and see if that solves your problem.

Benedict