Re: Newbish Q: Why modprobe.d *and* modutils?

On 18 Feb 2004 at 15:21:48, Darin Strait wrote:

> I understand that modules.conf is deprecated in favor of
> update-modules.

Not exactly - update-modules is just designed to be a better
way to manage modules.conf. It does not replace it.

> I don't understand why I have a modprobe.d and a modutils
> directory.

The modutils directory is for modutils (for 2.4 kernels), and
the modprobe.d directory is for module-init-tools (for 2.6
kernels).

> Should I be using one or the other or both?

That depends on what kernels you use.

2.4 only - use "apt get remove --purge module-init-tools" to
remove module-init-tools and its config files (including the
/etc/modprobe.d folder and /etc/modprobe.conf).

2.6 only - Keep both, but only maintain modprobe.d

Both 2.4 and 2.6 - keep and maintatin both

Adam