Re: "find /var/log -type f | xargs grep kmod" opens garbled dselect window

Hi Vineet

On Wed, 2004-02-18 at 21:10, Vineet Kumar wrote:
> * Wolfgang Pfeiffer (roto@gmx.net) [040218 11:59]:
> > What am I doing wrong?
>
> does the output of
>
> find /var/log -type f
>
> look correct?

yes

> How about
>
> find /var/log -type f | xargs echo grep kmod

yes, looks OK

> I don't really understand what malfunction you're seeing, but perhaps
> these techniques can help narrow down the cause.
>
> Also, for a simpler command, try
>
> grep -r kmod /var/log

Unusable here. Similarly garbled dselect window.

> "grep -rli"

Cool. That works. Seems the problem comes as soon as "contents" of a
matching file is shown by grep (find?) in /var/log

Bizarre:
find /etc -type f | xargs grep modules
works like a charm --- don't know what's going on there ...

Thanks for your help, Vineet.

Best Regards
Wolfgang

--