Re: update trap, please help!

On Wednesday 18 February 2004 10:59, Bernd Prager wrote:
> I compiled the latest Samba Debian packages due security considerations
> and it upgraded my libpam-runtime package with it.
>
> No I'm trapped with basically all other packages with dependency errors
like:
> > apt-get install perl-doc
>
> Reading Package Lists... Done
> Building Dependency Tree... Done
> You might want to run `apt-get -f install' to correct these:
> Sorry, but the following packages have unmet dependencies:
>   perl-doc: Depends: perl (>= 5.6.1-8.6) but 5.6.1-8.3 is to be installed
>   samba: Depends: libpam-runtime (>= 0.76-13.1) but 0.72-35 is to be
> installed E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with no
> packages (or specify a solution).
>
> Nothing I do from this point seems to work.
> Do I have to downgrade packages again? How do I get out of this trap?
> What is the right think to do?
> Thanks a lot,
> -- Bernd

It seems that you are running Woody.  What does your /etc/apt/sources.list
say?

It appears that you are trying to get perl from either the CDROM or stock
Woody sources.  Perl 5.6.1-8.6 is only available from security.debian.org.

On the other hand, libpam-runtime is version 0.72-35, whether from Woody
sources or security.  Where did you get the updated copy?

According to your /etc/apt/sources.list file, you're telling apt-get to
install the latest version, but it can't see the latest for either package.

I have a feeling if you put security in your sources.list, you won't need to
compile your own samba, and everything will install just fine.  If I'm
wrong, please post your sources.list, and tell us where you got the samba
and libpam-runtime packages.

Justin Guerin