Is sarge in a pre-release phase?

I have a server that is dedicated to doing backups via Amanda.  I have
recently purchased a Intel Pro 1000 Server adapter for this machine.  To get
this adapter working, I rolled my own 2.6.2 kernel, but this introduced more
problems onto my Woody machine.  The modutils package is deprecated for use
with the 2.6 series kernels, as far as I can tell.  It requires for modules
the module-init-tools package that is not included in the standard woody set
of packages.  I downloaded the module-init-tools deb from
packages.debian.org, only to find out that it requires a higher version of
gcc than woody ships with.  I tried forcing the package, but it wasn't
kidding when it said that it depends on a higher rev of gcc.  It didn't
work.

My question is this.  Is it "safe" to install sarge on a production server.
I do not have "must run flawlessly without intervention" requirements on
this server.  It does take care of my backups, but I have a few spare DLT's
lying around that I could use to get dumps of other servers if I was in an
emergency situation.  I have been interested in playing with the new sarge
installer and I thought this would be a good opportunity if need be.

Any suggestions?  Does sarge run "fairly" stable?

Michael