[OT] Don't buy a Bestdata modem!

Just a note for anyone in the market for buying new hardware, but
especially those that still use 56k modems.

I recently purchased an external serial modem made by BestData from the
local computer shop and picked it over an Actiontec model because it
said on the box that it supported Linux. The Actiontec made no such
claim, and I wanted to support people that advertise Linux support on
their package.

Once I opened the box and read the fine print in the manual, I found out
the call waiting feature only works with the _Windows software_ they
provide on a cd. Nowhere on the outside of the box did it mention this,
even though it 1) advertised that it was a call waiting modem and 2)
that it was Linux compatible. I've since searched their website and it
doesn't mention that you need the Windows only software there either. An
e-mail sent to the tech support telling them how disappointed I was that
they didn't include the fine print on the box never received a reply.

Evidently they think they can get away with deceptive advertising. You
can view the specs for the modem I purchased at the following link -
notice it still says it works in Linux and makes no mention of needing
specific software for the call waiting feature.
http://www.bestdata.com/product.asp?pid=41&catID=4

Incidentally, I've since done some research on the Actiontec "Dual-PC
modem" I passed up and it turns out it runs a version of embedded Linux
(from www.uclinux.org). So, if you're in the market for a modem, support
Actiontec (or another pro-Linux company) instead of BestData.

HTH,
Jacob

P.S. If you want to reply-all to this e-mail and let them know what
you think of their "Linux support", you can't sign it with your gnupg
key. Their mail server strips everything it thinks is an attachment and
isn't smart enough to tell the difference between a .doc file and a
clear-signed e-mail.

-----
GnuPG Key: 1024D/16377135

Random .signature #19:
Computers are like air conditioners -- they stop working properly if you
open Windows