Compiling PHP with postgres support?

We've been getting the following error when testing our PHP pages that make calls to our postgres database:

Fatal error: Call to undefined function: pg_pconnect() in /var/www/<testpageX>.php on line 14

According to research, it seems as though we failed to compile PHP with postgres support at install time. We used Debian packages to install PHP and don't recall whether compiling with postgres was an option.

- Should we remove PHP and start over with the regular PHP compiler?
- Is there a "Debian way" to install PHP with postgres support?
- Are we totally missing the boat here?

Here's our versions:

postgres 7.2.1-2wood

php 4.1.2-6wood